Three G4S guards are being charged with manslaughter following the death of a man as he was being deported from the UK.
Jimmy Mubenga, 46, died after being restrained by the three on board a plane at Heathrow airport in October 2010.
On Thursday the Crown Prosecution Service said the guards Stuart Tribelnig, 38, Terry Hughes, 53, and Colin Kaler, 51, would be charged with manslaughter.
Malcolm McHaffie, deputy head of CPS special crime, said: 'There is sufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and it is in the public interest to prosecute Colin Kaler, Terrence Hughes and Stuart Tribelnig.'
The three guards were arrested following Mubenga's death but in 2012 the Crown Prosecution Service decided not to bring any charges against them.
That decision was reviewed following an inquest into Mubenga's death last year in which a jury returned a verdict of unlawful killing following an eight-week hearing.
McHaffie said: 'We have completed a fresh review of all of the evidence relating to the death of Jimmy Mubenga, including the new evidence arising from the inquest, and decided that three men should be prosecuted for manslaughter.'
The CPS said it had decided not to prosecute G4S for corporate manslaughter.
'We have concluded that there is insufficient evidence to prosecute G4S for either offence and, due to the fact that related proceedings are now active, it would be inappropriate to comment further,' it said in a statement.
The three guards are due to appear at Westminster magistrates court on 7 April.
0 comments "Jimmy Mubenga: three G4s guards to be charged with manslaughter"
Post a Comment